04 June, 2010

Gavel Prep

Not that one can prepare for a 200 mile race in 96 degree heat through the grassy (read exposed) plains of Kansas; but we are as close to it as possible.

7 hours of driving ahead today. That will be followed by my favorite pre race ritural; the typical low rent hotel room preparation of two many guys vs. not enough square feet vs. a whole lot of gear and nutrition scattered about. Do I need this? How much water are you going to bring? What tire pressure should I run. You're bringing HOW much water?

I don't think any of us are racing. I'm certainly not. The prospect of breaking from a group or being dropped by a group and being left alone on 100+ more miles of rollers in near 100 degree heat and unforgiving flyover state wind doesn't sound good. I'm sticking with my group of Texans and possible Nashvillians and just getting it done. Good legs at mile 60 doens't mean much as you venture into the unknown. I can't think of a time I've done 200 miles on a bike in a day.

Spot link if you want to watch the suffering: Click Here for Dot racing

No comments: