27 November, 2007

On/Off the Road Again

One Holiday season behind me, the off season officially begins. I don't know if I have a clear definition of off season. Off season's are for those people who have a much better grasp on their own schedule than do I.

This happened last year: restful post season; train hard through November and December; peak, in terms of results, during a February preseason race; job takes over; cycling loses its time squelching supremacy; falter through a season; temporarily lose job in October; start getting fit just as everyone else cools off; Ohio weather starts to force off season in November; start planning next season.

I'm now on the road for 6 days at a time. This should make the first week of off season fairly straight forward. I walk circles into the carpet at work. I take on the oddest of IT challenges, transforming them into an hour long battle vs. the uninformed just so I can look at my watch. One down, seven to go. A happy hour on the second floor serves as dinner. I attempt to ride an exercise bike, get uncomfortable/frustrated/bored and quit. This is going well. So for the next 6 days, I definitely get to rest up, give the body a chance to heal and get used to its post holiday weight. Next week should hold some more riding, and with it some more enthusiasm about planning next year's season.

No comments: